Wednesday, December 12, 2012

ProjectSTAAR - Prep for Success!

My son is in 3rd grade; which means he will be taking the STAAR test. The STAAR (State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness), is a series of state-mandated standardized tests used in Texas public primary and secondary schools to assess a student's achievements and knowledge learned in the grade level. Personally, I think the overflow of high stakes tests are damaging the ultimate success of the individual student and our educational system. However, they are not going away any time soon, so I like to look for the positive and make the most of the situation. 

With that being said, here I am preparing yoga classes for STAAR preparation.  My focus is to create classes that incorporates the standard/core subjects (reading, writing, math, science & social studies) with relaxation skills, enjoyment and breath of light into the world of yoga poses and philosophies. The object of each class will be to educate our 3rd-8th graders in the community how to prep for success

The word test (minor or major grade) only brings stress and anxiety for the student, teacher and his/her parent. It doesn't have to be that way. I will be updating the Peaceful Hearts Yoga blog with STAAR preparation tips & strategies as well as how to use the tools of yoga to foster happier, healthier successful students. Tools that students will be able to take with them everywhere they go...including adulthood. :)


Affirmation: I am successful and proud of myself

No comments:

Post a Comment